Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Salmon Fishing on the Clearwater!

Kris holding his first catch of the day!

I don't know that there is a lot more to say about this trip - this is truly a case where the pictures say much more than words could.

Brad and I made a mad dash up to Orofino friday evening so that we could get in some sleep before fishing early saturday morning. Saturday was a pretty good day for fishing according to many of the folks there. The two other guys we fished with, Bruce (who owns the boat) and his friend Matt, were very gracious to give me the first fish of the day and Brad the second since they had caught their limit the day before. I would say that within 30 minutes of putting the first line in the water, we caught this fish. Reeling it in was quite the experience, but I just can't say too much about the help I got from the other guys - it makes it so much easier when you have three other guys in the boat who had done this so many times in the past. Bruce netted the fish for me, and that was that. Brad caught his first fish shortly after that, and you can see the result below - it was huge! We weighed it in at 18.5 lbs., and when we went to check in with fish and game at the end of the day, the guy said that it was one of the biggest fish they had seen to date this season. After that, it was every man for himself and each of us caught one more fish, giving Brad and I our limit by about 1:00.

Sunday was a little bit slower as far as teh fish are concerend - it seemed like everyone on the river was struggling to catch fish. I ended up getting shut out on the day, but the other three guys caught 5 fish between them, so we actually did pretty well, all things considered.

We headed home saturday evening, tired but happy. Brad took the fish to a butcher to get them fileted sunday afternoon, and while I didn't find out the total weight of the meat, I can definitely say that we will have some salmon in the freezer for quite a while.

I really want to thank the other guys for helping out the new guy so much - I would have been lost without them. They were all great and really made my experience that much better. Of course, Brad must have more patience than could reasonably be expected of any individual for continuing to take me fishing with him, adn I can say that I am very thankful for that. I am already looking forward to heading back next year (Bruce said that we should get a good run next year, as indicated by the large number of Jacks we ran across over the weekend).

Dad and the huge-kahbungus!

No comments: