Sunday, October 10, 2010

Ruby on the move…

Miss Ruby has been busy these past few days. Last weekend we spent up at the cabin. It was wonderful to just kick back and relax, go on a few walks and see the progress on cousin Faye’s build job. It was Ruby’s first significantly long car ride…she did fantastic! Which means our trip up to Moscow in November is looking good!

Yesterday we went to Uncle John’s fire station in Eagle for an open house. It was pretty amazing! I may have toured a fire station as a kid but if I did I don’t remember it being quite this impressive. John gave us tours of the station and the fire trucks (Ruby and I missed most of it since we were running late). It was really cool. The station had all kinds of demonstrations and information for those of us that stopped by. The best demonstration was the one John did toward the end of the day. I can’t remember if there is a name for the demonstration but basically it is the test that they make all volunteers pass in order to, well, be a volunteer. I’m probably going to mess up this description a bit but here goes:

Dressed in full gear (I don’t know how much his gear weighs but he let us feel how heavy just his coat was…holy cow), John started off hauling fire hoses up 3 flights of stairs. Once at the top he pulled more hoses up the center that were tied to a rope then came back down the stairs and hammer this thing that weighed 165 lbs. Next, he had to haul another hose (full of water) and spray it. To finish, he had to drag Rescue Randy (I believe that’s his name), who weights 175 lbs, the length of the fire station. Hopefully I got the description and sequence of events right but ether way I think it gives you an idea. There is video footage below of most of the drill. I got snap shots of the first part…the video picks up once he comes down the stairs…it’s pretty cool.

Click on the picture to view all:

10-10 Post



No comments: